Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

The following may be questions you have regarding the NEO Kids Children's Treatment Centre and services provided:

What can I expect to happen to the services my child receives once they go to school?
When your child starts school, either your services will be transferred to our School Based Rehabilitation Services (SBRS) or, depending on the issues, your child can still receive services at NEO Kids CTC.

Is there somewhere I can go to meet other parents whose children are involved with NEO Kids CTC?
For more information, please contact the NEO Kids CTC Social Worker, at 705-523-7337 ext. 1483.

What supports do each service at NEO Kids CTC offer to families?
The NEO Kids Children's Treatment Centre offers a variety of programs and therapies including occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech language pathology, and social work intervention.

Where can we park if front parking zone for NEO Kids CTC is full?
If the designated parking spots on either side of our building are not available you can park in any of the hospital parking lots, including the one next to ;NEO Kids CTC. For more information regarding directions and parking please ​​​​go to

My child is turning 18, where do we go for adult services?
Preparing for your teen's transition to adult services should begin well before they turn 18. Planning should begin around the age of 14 at school and with all of the service providers involved in your teen's care so that we are ready when the teen turns 18 or leaves school. You and your teen are encouraged to ask questions and to be part of the planning. Your teen's therapists, physicians, service coordinator, social worker, and school personnel all play an important role in helping your teen prepare for the transition to adult services.

The CanChild website has a resource (KIT: Keeping It Together) that can be downloaded to assist with transition planning.  To obtain more information regarding the CanChild Youth KIT and The KIT visit


How long will my child have to wait for services?
Your child is important to us, and we recognize that awaiting service can be stressful. We therefore strive to address the needs of our clientele as rapidly as possible. A multidisciplinary team meets regularly to review and prioritize children, based on urgency and severity of need. Wait times may vary according to the service or program required, and traditionally span from 1-6 months. Should your child’s situation change while you are waiting, please do not hesitate to call us.

What happens at the first appointment?
A therapist or a secretary will call you to arrange an appointment. On your first visit, the therapist will begin a comprehensive assessment with input from you, the parent/caregiver. The therapist will provide you with a copy of the “NEO Kids CTC Out-Patient Booklet” (Welcome Booklet) which outlines NEO Kids CTC services, contact information and a copy of the NEO Kids CTC program contract. Once the assessment is completed, the therapist will provide you with recommendations for home programming and schedule additional appointments if needed.

Are there any costs for the service?
The NEO Kids Children's Treatment Centre is funded through the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services ;and other funders. There is no cost for therapy sessions. Therapists will review with the parent/caregiver possible funding sources for any piece of equipment which may be needed/recommended.

How often and for how long will my child be seen?
Children needing active treatment are usually seen for a block of therapy (5-10 sessions). At the end of the block, the therapist will discuss the need for future treatment you. Length of involvement varies according to the needs of the child/family.


Can parents attend program?
Parents are welcome to attend the program with their children for the first few sessions in order to help the child transition. However the goal is for parents to leave the children as the sessions progress. Parents are welcome to participate in some sessions with the therapists as parent helper of the day. If the children exhibit extreme separation anxiety we do have a waiting area out in the hall for those parents who wish to remain close by as well as a Family Resource room.

Diapers and Snacks
Parents are responsible for providing diapers, wipes, pull-ups, or underwear and a change of clothes. A nutritious snack is provided. Parents are asked to advise the PATH team if their children have special dietary needs.

Fees = $100.00 per term

Fees may be waived if the client is absent for a prolonged period (e.g., more than 3 weeks in succession). Funding may be available to families requiring help. Please contact social worker for more information at 705-523-7120 ext. 1483.

Equipment & Transportation?
Parents are responsible for providing transportation to and from the program, as well as bringing in any braces, UCBLs, orthotics or splints with their children. Other equipment such as standers and walkers may be required. Please consult with your child’s physiotherapist or occupational therapist.

Consultation with other service providers?
When infant development staff are involved with the child they will be invited to attend PATH transition meeting with parents. This final meeting will serve to review the child’s progress and discuss recommendations for home as well as the next model of service delivery (i.e. Outpatient services at NEO Kids CTC, SPOT visits in daycare, etc.).


What is face to face communication?
It can be communication with the use of facial expressions, gestures, sign language, photos, picture symbols, technical devices and/or speech.

What are Writing aids?
Devices such as computers with adapted hardware and/or software, splints/ pointers/pencil grips etc. to assist in writing or to access computers.

Who should attend the assessment?
Parent(s)/caregiver(s) are required to accompany the child. Other people working closely with the child, such as an educational assistant or therapist, are also welcome.

What should we bring to the assessment?
For all assessments, please bring your child in any special seating used in a normal day, if possible (ex. wheelchair with tray). We would also like to see any picture communication books or devices the child may be already using. Also bring any eyeglasses, splints, pencil grips etc. that are needed to read or work. You may also want to bring a favourite toy or snack as some assessment sessions can be lengthy. For writing aids assessments, it is important to bring your home computer specifications, samples of your child’s printing/writing, any concerns from the teacher and a copy of the school IEP, if possible.

Who pays for the recommended equipment?
The Assistive Devices Program of the provincial government will pay a portion of the cost of approved communication aids that the child is eligible for. If the child/family is receiving government social assistance benefits, the cost of the equipment will be covered upon verification of benefits.

Does the clinic make recommendations to schools?
The clinic team assesses and prescribes communication equipment which will meet the child‘s needs at home as well at school and in the community. It does not prescribe equipment to be used at school only. Consultation is held with school personnel re: the use of augmentative communication at school.

Social Work

What kind of parent groups are being offered through your agency?
We have a parent group called “Parent Connect”. Parent Connect is a group for parents of children who have been living with special needs for some time now. This group usually meets once per month, allowing parents to talk about challenges that they are facing. This is also a place where parents can share their stories and even provide each other with helpful information and resources.

The groups are offered when there is enough interest and participants. If interested in learning more, or to register, please contact the NEO Kids social worker at 705-523-7120 ext. 1483.

What kind of financial support is available for my family?
Many programs exist to help families with the cost of equipment, renovation materials, as well as respite services. Some programs are based on the family’s yearly income and you must meet certain criteria to qualify. Your therapist, Service Coordinator and/or Social Worker can help you find financial assistance. The Families In Need-Directory of Services For Children With Special Needs (FINDS), which has been developed by the NEO Kids Children’s Treatment Centre, can also be a good tool to access services in the community. View the FINDS Directory.

Speech and Language Pathology

What causes a speech and language disorder?
Unfortunately, there is not a straight answer to this question as there are many possible “causes” for a speech and/or language disorder in children. Some are obvious and some are still uncertain. Some causes are: hearing loss; chronic ear infections; congenital birth defects; brain injury before, during or after birth; stroke; syndromes; global developmental delay; delayed development related to prematurity; oral motor weakness or disorders; motor planning disorder; physical deformities; and muscle disorders to name a few. Some children are delayed in language/communication for no apparent reason. They may be developing in a typical progression at a slower pace.

What is the difference between the NEO Kids Children’s Treatment Centre, (CTC) and Wordplay?
NEO Kids CTC and Wordplay both provide speech and language services to preschoolers under the provincial Preschool Speech and Language Initiative. The difference between the 2 services is the populations we serve. NEO Kids CTC provides a full range of speech language services to preschool children who:

  • are also referred for and receiving ongoing physiotherapy and /or occupational therapy services
  • have a diagnosis of Down Syndrome
  • have a diagnosis of Cleft Lip and Palate
  • require a feeding/swallowing evaluation
  • are non-verbal requiring Assistive Communication Services

Wordplay provides a full range of speech language services to any preschool child who lives in the Sudbury/Manitoulin District up to 70 months of age. Services are provided to children in junior kindergarten who have been referred prior to school entry in September.

Why would the Speech Language Pathologist use gestures, signs or pictures if my main goal is for my child to talk?
The Speech Language Pathologist may recommend the use of gestures, signs or pictures as a way to assist a child to express themselves in a way that they are able to when the words are not coming easily or quickly. By providing another way for a child to say what they want to say, frustration can be reduced and confidence gained. Sometimes this is a temporary step and may encourage a child to attempt to imitate the words they hear as the adult uses the gesture, sign or picture and word(s) together.